Need for Speed Underground 2 is the eighth, and undoubtedly one of the best parts of the series, as can be shown by the sales statistics. Underground 2 is considered by many players to be a cult video game. NFS Underground 2 tells a story of illegal racing that are being held at night on the streets of a fictitious city and its adjoining areas. The game was developed by EA Black Box, which has also worked on the previous and next installments of the series. The title was released on July 12, 2004, and is a direct sequel to Need for Speed Underground. The game is available on the Windows platform and PlayStation 2 consoles, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, GameCube, Nintendo DS and Gameboy Advance.
Need for Speed Underground 2 Download
You can also download the free demo of the game. To do so – click on the Download button at the end of this review.
Need for Speed Underground 2 Storyline
The storyline is centered around the events of the first Underground game. In a short cut-scene, you learn that the undefeated Olympic City hero becomes a liability for his friends who decide to get rid of him. After a stay in the hospital, you get to the airport in the fictional Bay View, where you will follow a career path in the world of illegal races. Your manager Rachel Teller will help you and will even give you her own car at the beginning.
The series debuted in 1994, while in 2014 there was even a Need for Speed movie. Here is the full list of games of this racing saga:
- Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed (1994),
- Need for Speed II (1997),
- Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998),
- Need for Speed: Road Challenge (1999),
- Need for Speed: Porsche 2000 (2000),
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002),
- Need for Speed: Underground (2003),
- Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004),
- Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (2005),
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005),
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted 5-1-0 (2005) – the PSP edition,
- Need for Speed: Carbon (2006),
- Need for Speed: Carbon: Own the City (2006),
- Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007),
- Need for Speed: Undercover (2008),
- Need for Speed: Shift (2009),
- Need for Speed: Nitro (2009),
- Need for Speed: World (2010),
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010),
- Shift 2 Unleashed (2011), also known as Need for Speed: Shift 2,
- Need for Speed: The Run (2011),
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012),
- Need for Speed: Rivals (2013),
- Need for Speed: No Limits (2015),
- Need for Speed (2015),
- Need for Speed Payback (2017).
NFS Underground 2 – the Cars
Need for Speed Underground 2 will draw you into the world very similar to the one from the cult Fast and Furious movie series. The enhanced visual and mechanical tuning system makes it possible for you to configure and customize your cars in many different ways. As in every part of the series, also in Need for Speed Underground 2 has fully licensed cars. The list includes such classics as:
- Ford Mustang,
- Mazda Rx-8,
- Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII,
- Nissan Skyline R34 GTR,
- or Volkswagen Golf GTI.
The setting of the game is an open world that includes Bay View and surrounding areas, together with picturesque racing routes. The tuning system has been considerably expanded when comparing the game with the previous parts. You can also purchase the parts needed for improving your car. They are available in the in-game stores. The races take place on city streets, on closed racetracks or on parking lots. There are several modes of racing, including Sprint, Drag, and Drift.
NFS Underground 2 Graphics
Visually, the game is an absolute masterpiece. It made a huge impression in 2004 and it delights even this day. The soundtrack of the game is also worth mentioning. It contains the hits from Rise Against, Snoop Dog or Paul Van Dyk.
The Need For Speed racing series has been consistently featured in the history of electronic gaming and has always been a trendsetter in the genre. Need for Speed Underground 2 has certainly helped to achieve it.