Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is an RPG game set in a fantasy world. It is the sequel to Pillars of Eternity which was released in 2015. In the game, you will once again visit the world of Eora. Unusually, a large part of your journey you will spend on a ship. Deadfire has been developed by Obsidian Entertainment. The studio is also responsible for such titles as Fallout: New Vegas or Neverwinter Nights 2. The game was released in May 2018 and is available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. There are also plans for PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch releases.
How to Download Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
You can download the game form a digital distribution platform such as Steam or GOG. To start the download, click on the Download button at the end of this review. In the case of GOG.com the game can be downloaded in various editions that differ in content. In addition to the standard edition, you can have Deluxe Edition, Obsidian Edition, and Season Pack. You can also download Explorer’s Pack with the soundtrack, a game map, a guide, and additional in-game item and in-game pet. This content is also a part of the Deluxe and Obsidian editions.
Travel by Ship
In the game, you will experience the pleasure of sailing on exotic and vast waters. The purpose of the expedition is to pursue the god Eothas. Eventually, you will reach to the islands of the Deafire archipelago. There will be many dangers waiting for your party. The ship you will travel on is heavily armed. It has numerous deadly weapons and a great crew, the masters in their profession. However, this group, as befits an RPG, has to be chosen and recruited by you. Your further responsibilities include, of course, developing their skills and telling them what to do. The abilities your party of adventurers will acquire will certainly prove useful when the crew will leave the ship and start exploring the exotic islands of the archipelago.
The Character Races
You can choose from strong Aumauas, sturdy Dwarves, fast and intelligent Elves, clever and bright Godlikes, strong-willed Humans and the Orlan who are gifted with acute senses.
The Character Classes of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
When creating a party, you will be able to add adventurers who represent some of the 11 available character classes, each with many subclasses. The classes have different purposes and the game divides them into four types that can be combined: strikers, defenders, crowd controllers, and supporters. The strikers are offensive characters, the defenders are, obviously, those who specialize in protecting their companions, the support classes add various bonuses and heal, while the crowd control classes can influence the behavior of enemies. Here they are:
- Paladin (main role: support, secondary role: defender) – five subclasses: Bleak Walkers, Dracozzi Paladini, Goldpact Knights, Kind Wayfarers, The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga
- Druid (main role: crowd control, secondary roles: support and striker) – subclasses: Animist, Fury, Lifegiver, Shifter
- Fighter (a typical tank, main role: defender, secondary role: striker) – Black Jacket, Devoted and Unbroken
- Monk (main role: striker, secondary role: defender) – Helwalker’s Philosophy, Shattered Pillar Philosophy, Nalpazca Philosophy
- Priest (support) – at your disposal, you have as many as five different subclasses, each focused on the faith in another god: Berath, Eothas, Magran, Skaen and Wael
- Ranger (main role: striker, secondary role: defender) – three subclasses: Ghost Heart, Sharpshooter, and Stalker
- Rogue (striker) – Assassin, Streetfighter or Trickster
- Wizard (main role: crowd control, secondary role: striker) – Conjurer, Evoker, Enchanter, Illusionist, and Transmuter
- Barbarian (main role: crowd control, secondary role: defender) – Berserker, Mage Slayer, Corpse-Eater
- Chanter (support and crowd control) – Beckoner, Skald, and Troubadour
- Cipher (crowd control and striker) – the classes: Ascendant, Soul Blade, and Beguiler
The World of Deadfire
After leaving the ship, the heroes will have to fight enemies using spells and their secret powers. Their skillful use and proper tactics will lead you to victory.
The game is set in a world which in terms of technological development can be compared to the early Renaissance. So it is not your typical, medieval fantasy, because you will also encounter firearms. This is of course well mixed with fantastic and magical duels. The best illustration of the atmosphere prevailing in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is the epic magic encounter that takes place on a Renaissance ship.
The graphics presented in the isometric view look impressive. All the elements, the buildings, the character models and their animations are very well designed and refined. The textures are detailed, and perfectly reflect the reality of Eora. Thanks to this treatment the game draws you into its magical world.
The soundtrack was composed by Obsidian Entertainment employee Justina Bella. This is definitely a strong point of the title, and ads much to the unique atmosphere of Deadfire.
The Hardware Requirements
The hardware requirements of the game are as follows. The operating system you need is Windows 7, 8, 10. The game can also be run on Mac OS X systems in versions higher than 10.9 and on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04).
The minimum computer parameters are Intel Core i3-2100T – 2.5 GHz or AMD Phenom II X3 B73, 4 GB of RAM and a graphics card compatible with DirectX 11. Obsidian recommends an Intel Core i5-2400 – 3.1 GHz or AMD Phenom II processor X6 1100T, 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 7700 graphics card or Nvidia GeForce GTX 570. The specifications for the other operating systems are very similar.